If an assessment by a local council shows that care services should be provided, you or the person you are looking after, have a right to ask for a direct payment instead of having the service arranged by a local council
This cash payment allows you to organize care services yourself, enabling you to choose the services that are appropriate.
Some people use the money to buy care from an agency whilst others will directly employ their own staff, or use Agencies such as Peterborough Council of Voluntary Service (PCVS) to manage the services.>
Who can get Direct Payments?
Anyone assessed by the Council as having “eligible needs” for support, who is also able and willing to manage the Direct Payment, either alone or with support.
- Older or disabled people aged 16 or over
- People with long term illness, sensory impairment, mental health problems
- A carer assessed as needing support in their own right
- A person with parental responsibility for a disabled child
Contact your local Council Social Care Department who will arrange to have your needs assessed. If you have your own Support Plan, this will help you to explain your needs to the person who does the assessment.
Direct payments are not compulsory, you are given a choice.
It is always the choice of the person receiving care (or the person acting on their behalf) whether to receive direct payments or continue getting services from social services.
Some people use the money to buy care from an agency whilst others will directly employ their own staff, or use Agencies such as Peterborough Council of Voluntary Service (PCVS) to manage the services by offering the following:-
PCVS Direct Payments Support Service offers:
- Direct Payments Support Service provides information, advice and support with all aspects of Direct Payments.
- Direct Payments Support Team provide a friendly, flexible support service for people in Peterborough who receive Direct Payments as part of their “care package”.
- Information and advice
- Help to set up a separate Bank Account
- Employers Liability Insurance and advice on becoming an Employer
- Payroll Service to help with Tax, N.I, Statutory Sick Pay etc.
- Financial Records support
- Problem solving